Scout

Pier 39 patrons talk American independence on the Fourth

Back to Article
Back to Article

Festive Americans visit Pier 39 for Fourth of July. They celebrated with activities throughout the day.

Megan Barrett

Megan Barrett

Megan Barrett

Claire Chu, Staff Writer

SAN FRANCISCO – Red, white and blue filled Pier 39 on Wednesday as locals and tourists celebrated the significance of Fourth of July.

As music played and festivities occured, citizens reflected on what models the identity of an American. Just about every year, Bay Area native Michael Neal watches the fireworks with his family to celebrate the holiday.

“To me, being American means liberty and freedom, especially compared to different parts of the world and being proud of that,” he said. “My family and I hang out each year on the Fourth because this day honors the rights we have as citizens.”

Pier 39 is a popular tourist attraction year-round because of the variety of sounds, sights and tastes to explore. Even for a day celebrating America’s independence, international travellers still appreciated the holiday spirit.

“It’s actually the first time I’ve ever celebrated [Fourth of July],” said Julie Wooder, a tourist from England. “It’s exciting to see how Americans celebrate their independence on a day like this in San Francisco.”

Although there is a lot of gratitude for the country, Americans also feel the division between one another. Paula Kidder, a traveler from Washington, hoped the day would unite Americans through the values the country was founded on.

“We’re thankful and grateful for our liberty, freedom and unity,” Kidder said. “However, in times like this, we need to stay unified and remember the real reason why we are here: our Founding Fathers. We cannot continue to separate one another, but instead, we need to bring each other up.”

Like Kidder, Maxine Fritz, an 86-year-old from Maryland, believes in reaching common ground along with her faith in times of crisis.

“To always have faith in someone or something, that unites us,” Fritz said.

Claire Chu, Staff Writer

Claire will be a junior and Managing Editor at her high school in the fall. She is a dog person who enjoys baking, traveling, and doing yoga. Her favorite...

Megan Barrett, Staff Writer

Megan Barrett goes to Great Oak High School in Temecula, California where she is a rising junior and Student Life Editor at her school newspaper, The Great...